#LoveYYC Day is a new annual tradition from the folks over at Tourism Calgary to celebrate and appreciate our lovely city. As a born-and-raised Calgarian, it sometimes seems like Iâ€™m a unicorn out in the prairies. But itâ€™s been great to see how this small cowtown has grown to be such a vibrant metropolis over the years.Â For my long-time readers and followers, you know that I am a big fan of our city and an advocate of all things Calgary. Some people’s hobbies are sports or collecting stamps, mine is enjoying and embracing as much of Calgary as I possibly can! Here are just a few of the things to love about Calgary #LoveYYC:
1. The expansive pathways all around the city. They can connect you to all sorts of neighborhoods, attractions and get you enjoying nature in the city.
The Elbow River
2. This brilliant view
3. Nose Hill Park. Just a pristine piece of land unmarked by the urban culture that surrounds it.
4. The Calgary Public Library. We have one of the most extensively used library systems in North America. I canâ€™t wait for the New Central Library to open.
5. Our ridiculously awesome craft beer scene! I love that they are popping up uncontrollably all over and I can even bike to 6 or 7 of them from home.
What isn’t to love?
6. And this amazing skyline.
7. The Peace Bridge. I never get tired of taking my picture at this spot.
8. Our sunny blue skies! They mock us on a chilling winter day, but itâ€™s great to see sun and sky instead of grey and clouds all winter long.
9. Fish Creek Provincial Park. A haven for all sorts of wildlife and natural beauty in the city.
10. Food, food, food. Calgaryâ€™s food scene is beyond delicious â€“ Charcut, Una Pizza, Foreign Concept, Model Milk are just a few of my faves.
11. Our fun and funky neighborhoods â€“ so much character and community is packed into some of the most popular areas Calgarians love to visit from Inglewood to Bridgeland to Kensington to Bowness.
12. Floating down the river on a beautiful summer day. How many other major cities let you do this?
Biking is the best.
13. Our burgeoning bike culture! Iâ€™ve never ridden my bike so much as I have the past couple of years. Cycle tracks, Cyclepalooza and other cycle-friendly events is making bikes the norm.
14. Beakerhead! This science, arts and engineering festival is one of the best things to ever happen to Calgary and is now a signature event in the Calgary events calendar.
15. Our philanthropy and volunteerism. Calgary has an amazing community spirit as seen in the 2013 floods to annual food drives and fundraisers. We love to help!
Pink skies and smiles.
16. A sunrise to remember.
17. The proximity to the mountains. How lucky are we to be only an hour away from such majestic adventures?
#LoveYYC day is coming up on November 4th. Check out the Tourism Calgary website to see all the great deals and experiences and offers available for one day only.