Last Updated on May 19, 2019 by Irene Seto
There’s a lot to love about a good flame-grilled chicken and nobody does it better than Nando’s, the specialty chain known for their peri-peri style chicken dishes. If you haven’t had a chance to visit this yummy restaurant yet, you really need to. Check out these fun facts about Nando’s.
- Nando’s world-famous chicken is like no other because of its special PERi-PERi sauce.
- PERi-PERi is the Swahili word for Bird Eye’s Eye Chili, the special ingredient that makes all that chicken taste so good.
- There are three Nando’s locations in Calgary to get your chicken fix – up on 32nd Ave NE, down on Uptown 17th Ave SW and in the deep south at Mahogany Village Market.
— Irene Seto (@HeySeto) June 21, 2017
- You can take the PERi-PERi tastiness home with you. Nando’s sells their range of sauces at their restaurants as well as at Safeway, Sobeys, Superstore, Calgary Co-op and an almighty one litre bottle from Costco.
- Peri-Peri spice found its way from Africa to Europe through Portuguese explorers. This “Afro-Portuguese” influence is a big part of Nando’s food and culture.
- No two Nando’s locations ever look the same as each casa gets its own design. My favourite Calgary design is the 17th Ave location.
- All chickens you’ll enjoy at the Calgary restaurants are locally sourced from Alberta farms.
- The Mahogany casa is the newest addition to Calgary. There are 25 Nando’s in Western Canada with seven locations right here in Alberta.
- The chicken is marinated for 24 hours and is never frozen.
- Natas! This Portugeuse-style tart is the best custard dessert ever.
I’m giving away one of the prize packs here on the blog. Answer the trivia question below and follow on social for bonus entries. The other prize pack will be given away on my Instagram. Enter in both spots for more chances to win! Contest is open to Calgary-based residents. Good luck!