The Calgary Tower is an iconic part of Calgary’s skyline. I love looking it from all vantage points as it brings back childhood memories of the city I grew up with and new memories as a modern metropolis unfolds around it. While the buildings around downtown Calgary have changed, the Calgary Tower has stood tall and proud as a fiery symbol of our western heritage. The cement base, red tower, metal spire and occasional flame are familiar sights to Calgarians. But as much fun as it is to see this free standing observation tower from afar, it’s just as great to go up to the top to visit!
Here are just a few of the beautiful views that makes me love to visit the Calgary Tower:
Beautiful panoramic views at the top of the Calgary Tower
- On the observation deck you’ll experience amazing 360 degree views of the bustling city, the Rocky Mountains and more.
- The Calgary Tower hovers 191 metres above the Calgary downtown core and was once the tallest building in the city.
Walk out onto the unique glass floor
- The iconic building just recently celebrated its 50th anniversary last year. Happy birthday!
Unique views all around
- Tip: Visit the Sky 360 restaurant for fine dining at the top of the tower. Save money on Calgary Tower admission by booking a meal at the restaurant and the elevator ride up is free. The revolving restaurant giving you continuous views all around the tower without leaving your table.
- During the ride up in the elevator, screens will show you the surrounding landscape as it would appear if you could see outside.
- Originally named the Husky Tower, the building was constructed as a joint venture between Marathon Realty and Husky Oil to honour Canada’s 100th birthday. It was also intended to promote the downtown core as a part of a Calgary urban renewal program.
- Before you go, see if there is a Calgary Tower coupon available on the Calgary Attractions website for a discount.
- Climb the stairs! Every Tuesday this March from 4 to 7 pm, the tower is running its 802 Challenge to give fitness buffs the ultimate climbing test. Climb up all 802 steps to get to the to the observation deck – only $10 for an active winter challenge!
It’s fun to be a tourist in your own city. Take your family and friends up to the top of the tower for a visit to show off why Calgary is such a great place to call home.